If you are looking for entertainment over the Bank Holiday weekend, there is plenty of online music for you to enjoy.
- Starting on the evening of Friday 22 May and running right through until late evening on Monday 25 May, you have Chester Folk Festival online. There’s a jam-packed weekend waiting for you filled with online concerts, workshops, dancing, chance to meets and more. Download the programme here to see what is on. All the events are free of charge, all the organisers ask is that you make a donation if you can via the donate page
- On Friday 22 May at 7.30pm, Downend Folk Club has a live guest interview and a performance, as they are doing every Friday. This week the online gig is called ‘An hour or so with ‘Jackie Oates‘. You can watch this session on the club’s Facebook page. Why not make it a regular Friday date?
- Then at 10.00am on Saturday 23 May (yes that is 10 o’clock in the morning), Chris While and Julie Matthews are doing another live concert. This one is called ‘Live in the Headshed’ and the timing has been planned for their huge fan base in the Antipodes – who had to get up at or stay up till ‘silly o’clock’ to watch their previous concerts. Catch this one on their Facebook page
- In the evening on Saturday 23 May at 7.30pm, Miranda Sykes is doing another concert from her living room. You can see this on her Facebook page and send her your requests too
- Every Saturday at 8.00pm (and this week is no exception) Edwina Hayes is doing a Live Saturday Night Request Hour on her Facebook page
- On Sunday 24 May at 6.00pm, Lyric Lounge Review presents Folk Special #5 featuring Jon Boden, Ciaran Algar, Edwina Hayes, Mohsen Amini and Skinner& Twitch. All funds raised go to the Trussell Trust who support a nationwide network of food banks and together we provide emergency food and support to people locked in poverty, and campaign for change to end the need for food banks in the UK. This concert is also on Facebook on the Lyric Lounge Review page
- And last – but most definitely not least – in response to popular demand, Folk on Foot are running Front Room Festival 2 on Monday 25 May starting at 2.00pm – with seven hours of amazing online music from: Cara Dillon and Sam Lakeman, Chris Wood, Duncan Chisholm, Eliza Carthy, Frank Turner and Jess Guise, Gwilym Bowen Rhys, John Smith, Johnny Flynn, Kate Rusby and Damien O’Kane, Kathryn Tickell, Kitty Macfarlane, O’Hooley and Tidow, Richard Thompson and Zara Phillips, Rioghnach Connolly and Ellis Davies – all playing sets of 30 minutes each in their front rooms. Plus: the online premiere of a behind the scenes film of The Unthanks shot during their recent “Unaccompanied” tour and featuring beautiful performances at London’s Union Chapel.Relax in your front room and enjoy this on the Folk on Foot YouTube Channel and Facebook page. If you can, please donate to support musicians who’ve lost their livelihoods during the coronavirus lockdown. Half the money the Festival raises will go to the charity Help Musicians – which supports musicians undergoing financial hardship – and the other half will be divided equally between the artists who take part in the Festival.
I’m sure there are other things happening that Unicorn doesn’t know about yet so please keep sending in details of events that you find out about and enjoy. And keep checking the Facebook pages and YouTube channels of your favourite artists.
Whatever you choose to do over the long weekend, stay safe, have a good time and keep supporting live music.