This just in from the White Horse Folk Club…
With immediate effect we are having to change venue to
The Hertford Club
…and as we will no longer meet in The White Horse I’m changing name to Four Rivers Folk Club (Hertford sits on the convergence of of The Beane, Lea, Rib and Mimram)
Until end of year we will be meeting there on 2nd and 4th Tuesday in the bar but in 2018 we will be changing evening to the 2nd and 4th Wednesday and have a private room upstairs.
More explanation here:
Due to the uncertainty of the viability of the White Horse as a venue for the folk Club due to it remaining closed caused by no beer deliveries. There are many issues outstanding between Stefan (the licensee) and Fullers who appear to charge their resident landlords £160 for a barrel of London Pride but only charge non-tied landlords £115 or thereabouts. Stefan has taken no money out of the enterprise for the last 11 months. Seemingly Fullers are looking for another landlord.
With all this going on and to ensure that we continue to have a folk club in Hertford I have approached The Hertford Club and the following has been agreed to.
1. We can continue in the Hertford Club bar on a tuesday evening until end of this year.
2. From January 2018 we will run the folk club on the 2nd and 4th Wednesday monthly. This is because they a a decades long commitment to the Chess Club on Tuesdays and this is ongoing.
3. I will transfer the amplified open mic from the 2nd Wednesday to the 3rd Wednesday of the month
4. We will have the room upstairs in the Club at our disposal so we will be free of bar noise and be able to accommodate larger audiences.
5. They will charge me their standard fee for the room £25 per night but I can have my open mic night there if I want to without incurring an extra charge
6. If we have bigger acts that require a pa we can do this in this room.
1. As we’re not using the White Horse I propose changing the name of the club to the “Four River’s Folk Club”, I didn’t think “The Hertford Club Folk Club”sounded good and “The Lombard House Folk Club” sounded too posh!
2. As I have to pay for the room now I am suggesting a £2 fee for audience and keeping it free for players as I don’t believe in the “pay to play” policy of some clubs.
3. Roger and Emma have helped out tremendously in taking over on nights but Roger isn’t always available and he and Emma are regulars at the Wednesdays in the Herald in Harlow so I’d like to ask Mike and John to consider assisting on a regular or ad hoc basis so I can have holidays etc.
Let me know how you see all this and please make suggestions.
To refresh from next Tuesday onwards we will be at the Hertford Club can you let as many people know as possible.