We may be locked down but there’s plenty of music to get us through!
- There are still three more days (12-14 March) of a full programme of online and socially distanced events for ‘The Gathering: A Celebration of the Spirit of Vin Garbutt‘ curated by ‘The Wild Rover’ Mike Mcgrother. The events celebrate the life, music and legacy of the much loved and much lamented Teeside Troubadour. For all information and tickets go to www.vingarbutt.com/thegathering. If you’re quick, you can even catch the show that went out last evening (available until tonight).
- On Sunday 13 March at 8.00pm, Firebrand Music presents Miranda Sykes Live with Cotleigh Brewery. The performance on YouTube will consist of a 45 minute set from Miranda, followed by a 10 minute interval, then the gig starts again at 8.55pm for another 45 minute set. Miranda will be available for an optional Q&A session after the gig via Zoom. Ticket price is per household, allowing any number of people in your residence to watch. However, if more than one person is watching in your home and you can afford it, please buy the appropriate number of tickets as you would at a concert as this helps both the artist and the venue. Tickets are available here and sales will close at midday on Saturday 13 March 2021.
- Live to Your Living Room are presenting some awesome gigs online. On Saturday 13 March at 8.00pm four members of Dervish will be pulling out all the stops to put on a fabulous show. On Sunday 14 March at 3.00pm the fantastic Keith Donnelly, Geordie, tall-tale-telling-singer-songwriter-guitarist. is providing some much-needed light relief with his Family Show. Full details and tickets on the website. And later in March and April there are concerts with Iona Lane, James Delarre, Martin Simpson, Andy Cutting, and The Young ‘Uns and many more.
- On Sunday 21 March at 7.30pm, there’s a special double header from Show of Hands. A ‘fly on the wall’ film about the the making of the ‘Wake the Union’ CD plus ‘Show of Hands and the ‘Urban Soul Orchestra’ in their 2013 concert at Shrewsbury Folk Festival. The DVD & tickets for the stream link are available now from the Show of Hands shop on their website.
- On Saturday 10 April at 7.30pm BST, Joshua Burnell and his full band present ‘For One Stream Only’ – a live-streamed concert in a great space, with great lighting, great sound and great camera quality – basically, recreating their live show for you in lockdown. They promise entertainment and escapism is equal measure, performing songs from Flowers Where The Horses Sleep – described as “Outstanding” by Folk Radio UK – as well as some brand-new songs alongside tried and tested classics from Joshua’s previous albums. If you’re new to Joshua Burnell’s music, The Guardian described it as, ”… adding lashings of Peter Gabriel stylings to the world of trad arrangements,” and he was recently winner of the Rising Star award in the Folk Awards. You could call it ‘Folk-fused baroque ‘n’ roll for the modern world’. Tickets available from the Veeps website here.
NB Please check times of the gigs carefully – as the clocks go forward one hour in late March in the UK.